How to Choose the Perfect Garage Door for Your Home
Choosing a garage door is a big decision. Your garage makes up a large part of your home, and it’s often the first thing people see when they look at your house. There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing a new garage door for your home, from your budget and preferences to your area’s climate.
We’ve put together this guide to help you choose a door perfect for your home. Learn some steps to selecting a new garage door and how to match color and style to your house.
How to Choose a Garage Door
A new garage door has the potential to change the entire appearance of your home and raise its curb appeal. Before you start thinking about your design wishes for your garage door, you’ll want to consider some logistics. These steps provide a good starting point:
1. Analyze Your Area’s Climate
One of the first things to consider when choosing a garage door is your location. The weather affects what you use your garage for. If you live in a cold or snowy climate, you might want to use your garage to protect your car. In addition to protecting your car from elements like rain and snow, you’ll likely need a garage door rated for wind in some regions. Garages without wind protection leave your home susceptible to roof collapse.
2. Understand Your Budget
Another important consideration is how much money you’re willing to spend on a new garage door. Setting a budget is a good next step after determining which type of door will work best for your climate and area. Your budget will depend on several factors, including material, number of doors, style and whether the garage door is insulated.
3. Think About Your Garage Door Usage
People open and close their garage doors multiple times every day. The number of times you open and close your garage door might affect what type of door you choose. If you find you open and close your doors a lot throughout the day, a door on an overhead track might be quicker and more efficient than doors that open outward.
4. Decide How Much Maintenance You’re Willing to Do
Different garage doors require different maintenance levels. Wood doors require regular maintenance and upkeep, especially as they age. You’ll need to repaint or stain them every couple of years. If you don’t have time or aren’t interested in the upkeep necessary for a wood door, consider one made from aluminum or steel. You can paint these doors to look like wood if you want the look without the upkeep.
How Will You Use Your Garage?
Choosing a garage door for your home depends on how you plan to use it. People use their garages for the following purposes:
- Car protection: It isn’t surprising that car storage is one of the most popular uses for a garage. Many people choose a double garage or two-car garage even if they only need room for one car. You can use the extra space for storage or as a workspace.
- Storage: People often use their garages to store items like bicycles, shoes, seasonal decorations and equipment like lawnmowers.
- Home gym: Home gyms have grown in popularity in recent years, and some people have found their garage to be the perfect place for a home gym setup.
- Workshop: People who work at home or do a lot of construction work around the house might find their garage a good place for a workshop.
How to Match a New Garage Door to Your Home
A new garage door can enhance your home’s aesthetics if you choose the right style. Start by analyzing your home’s style:
- Rustic: Rustic homes are casual and natural. They often feature elements like wood and stone.
- Traditional: Traditional homes mix classic with contemporary. They are one of the most popular styles in the U.S.
- Modern: Modern homes were built between the 1930s and 1970s in the U.S. and are stylistically minimal without many over-the-top details.
- Contemporary: Contemporary homes generally feature styles that are currently popular. The styles can vary greatly.
You can also customize some elements of your new garage door to add a unique twist to your home. Some features of garage doors that can make your home stand out include:
- Windows: Windows work well with many garage styles. If you’re using your garage for a nontraditional purpose — such as a home gym — windows let natural sunlight into the space.
- Material: Garage doors are often made from steel, wood, aluminum or glass.
- Finish: You can use paint, stone, brick or staining methods to finish and perfect your new garage door.
- Color: Color is an excellent way to customize your new garage door. You may choose a black garage door for a modern, sleek look or a red garage door to complement your home’s other colors.
What Style Garage Door Should I Choose?
Check out the following garage door styles and our recommendations for home styles they complement:
- Modern Steel™: The Modern Steel™ garage doors pair well with contemporary and midcentury modern homes. There are 13 finish options available for this style.
- Classic™ Steel: Classic™ Steel garage doors are available in various colors. This style stands the test of time and complements every style of home.
- Reserve® Wood Custom: Wood garage doors pair well with rustic homes. With Reserve® Wood Custom handcrafted doors, you can choose between wood like Knotty Alder, Spanish Cedar, White Oak or African Mahogany. Options are only limited by your imagination!
- Canyon Ridge® Carriage House: Get the look of swing-out doors with the functionality of upward operation with Canyon Ridge® Carriage House garage doors. These doors are constructed with four layers — steel, insulation, steel and a composite overlay.
Your personal style is the most important thing to consider when choosing a garage door. Since you’ll be the one opening and closing it every day, choose something you love to look at and use!
Find a New Garage Door With Door Pros
At Door Pros, we’re committed to providing the best customer service and workmanship. No matter what garage door styles you’re interested in, we have something to fit your lifestyle. We have locations across California, including San Mateo, San Rafael, Sacramento, San Francisco, Carmel and surrounding areas. We also work in Monteray and Denver, Colorado.
Our experienced technicians are ready to help you pick a new garage door. Browse our garage door gallery and request an estimate for your new garage door today!
Leave a Comment